In a previous blog post, I wrote about an opportunity to get involved on this campus by joining Camp Kesem Fresno State. Because this is our first year, we are learning and growing, so I wanted to give you all an update about it.
As a recap, Camp Kesem Fresno State is one of many chapters across the United States that is geared towards helping kids ages 6 through 16 who have or had a parent that was affected by cancer. The chapter has various responsibilities, and we break up into committees in order to achieve our goal of sending these kids to camp in the summer of 2015.
You have an opportunity to be a part of this chapter and help these kids too! You can either be involved by heading a committee as a coordinator or by choosing to be a member of one of the following committees:
- Create and manage a budget
- Manage the plan for all camp programming
- Search for a camp facility and communicate needs to the campsite for the week of camp
- Recruit campers and maintain communication with families
- Maintain community partnerships for camper and professional staff recruitment
- Initiate and maintain relationships with foundations/corporations/organizations
- Develop and execute on-campus and off-campus fundraising strategy
- Manage private donor solicitation, donation processing, and relations
- Develop and implement student volunteer recruitment strategy and manage any volunteer events throughout the year
- Recruit counselor applicants and manage the selection process
- Develop and implement counselor training program, including all logistics, planning of sessions, guest facilitators, completion of online assignments, etc.
- Develop and implement Counselor Debriefing Program
MARKETING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Manage development and maintenance of Camp Kesem website and social media presence
- Assist other coordinator positions with event publicity
- Manage efforts to obtain media coverage for the camp project
Please consider becoming involved with Camp Kesem Fresno State even if it’s just by spreading the word. Sadly, almost everyone can relate to cancer by either having gone through it, seen someone close suffer from it, or know someone who is affected by it. Camp Kesem can be a way to make this horrible disease seem less daunting by improving the lives of those who are affected by it.
For more information on how to get involved with Camp Kesem, please contact, email@example.com.
Leave a Reply