Last night, May 5, 2010 Fresno State President, John D. Welty, hosted the annual Service Recognition Reception, honoring the spirity of community and those involved in community engagement and service-learning at the university. This event is one way that the university officially recognizes the thousands of Fresno State students, faculty, and staff who provide service to their community.
Graduates from the American Humanics Nonprofit Administration Program, student participants in the Radin Community Service Scholarship Program and the Service Scholars Grant program, service-learning faculty, and the Richter Center Ambassadors were all acknowledged for their service efforts in the 2009-10 academic year.
In addition to the group recognition, the following special awards were made:
2009-2010 Spirit of Service AWARDS – Recognizing exemplary commitment to community engagement
- University Student Volunteer of the Year – CELESTE PILEGARD
- Community Service Scholarship Program – SUE VANG
- Scholars Service Grant Program – ESPERANZA NAVARRO
- American Humanics Program – MARLA HARTMAN
- Faculty Member – BETSY HAYS, Assistant Professor of Mass Communications & Journalism
- Staff Member – LANNY LARSON, University Communications
- Special Recognition – SMITTCAMP FAMILY HONORS COLLEGE
- Community Partner – CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL CENTRAL CALIFORNIA FOUNDATION
To view a list of all of the recognized students, download the reception program. You can also see the remarks made by President Welty and Richter Center director, Chris Fiorentino, by clicking on the links below.
2010 Service Recognition Reception Program
2010 Service Reception remarks by President Welty
Remarks by Chris Fiorentino recognizing President Welty’s Service